Carers Trust has been working with UK Power Networks (which owns and maintains electricity cables in parts of your region) to encourage carers and the people they care for to sign up to the company’s Priority Service Register, which offers extra support in the event of a power cut – at no cost to the carer. Updates on the work:
- UKPN have expanded the criteria to join the Priority Service Register (PSR) to include carers of people with mental health issues, learning disabilities and chronic illnesses – so more carers than ever are eligible to join.
- UKPN are printing new leaflets which will be coded so that Carers Trust will be identified as the source of new sign-ups. UKPN will send these to NPs in the next few weeks.
- Gigi Burgdorf (Project Manager) will be emailing relevant partners shortly with an updated comms pack containing suggested articles for newsletters & websites, as well as sample Tweets, Facebook posts and other suggestions of how to promote the PSR to carers – including a ‘Preparing for Winter’ campaign to tie together flu jabs, PSRs and winter fuel payments.
- We will be sending out a survey to NPs in January to gauge how promotion is going, capture any success stories and gather ideas of further ways to promote PSRs.
- Please let Gigi know if your centre or scheme is running any winter campaigns or energy events where it may be suitable to promote the PSR. (email@example.com)
(NB: This only applies to Action for Family Carers, Carers In Bedfordshire, Crossroads Braintree, Crossroads Brentwood, Cambridgeshire Crossroads, Crossroads Herts North, Crossroads Herts South, Crossroads Tendring & Colchester, Norfolk Carers Support, Suffolk Family Carers, West Norfolk Carers Association. Other NPs are outside of UKPNs area and can find their local distributor here http://www2.nationalgrid.com/uk/Our-company/electricity/Distribution-Network-Operator-Companies/)